Everyone knows the key role the paper industry plays in the New North. A free event at 7 p.m. Wednesday, April 28 at the Green Bay Labor Temple is designed to raise awareness about creating a sustainable paper industry not just here in Wisconsin, but in other parts of the world, in particular Southeast Asia.
The United Steelworkers, BlueGreen Alliance, Goldman Environmental Prize, Sierra Club, and Environmental Investigation Agency are coming together to make sure the United States is not turning a blind eye to illegal logging activities that result in environmental devastation abroad and job losses at home.
The event features the following speakers:
· Anne Kajir, 2006 Goldman Environmental Prize Winner; Papua New Guinea
· Khoirul Anam, President of the Indonesian Forestry and Allied Workers’ Union (Kahutindo); Jakarta, Indonesia
· Rulita Wijayanindya, International Secretary of Kahutindo; Jakarta, Indonesia
· Michael Bolton, Director of District 2 of the United Steelworkers of Menasha
· Anne Middleton, Forest Campaign Outreach Coordinator, Environmental Investigation Agency; Washington, DC
Pre-registration is required to guarantee a spot. Please RSVP to [email protected].