It seems almost everyone wants a piece of Foxconn.
And why not? As the Taiwanese electronics manufacturer prepares to break ground on a $10 billion manufacturing center in Racine County, there is plenty of opportunity to go around. Builders, contractors and suppliers from around the state have been flooding regional information sessions for the project.
Northeast Wisconsin will present a session, hosted by the Wisconsin Economic Development Corp., New North Inc. and the project’s construction manager, M+W|Gilbane, Friday morning at Liberty Hall in Kimberly. Onsite registration begins at 8 a.m., and the program kicks off at 8:30 a.m. and runs until noon. Around 75 have registered so far for the event.
Construction managers say they will break ground on Phase 1 of the Foxconn plant either this month or in May. During the five-year project, 11,000 construction workers will be needed to build the facility, and another 6,000 indirect jobs will be created for services and goods to fill it.
Managers for the project say the want 60 percent of the work to be done by Wisconsin companies. M+W|Gilbane says 10 percent of the subcontractors should be based in Racine County, and another 10 percent should represent female-, minority- or veteran-owned businesses.
“This historic project will provide significant opportunities for businesses in every region of the state,” Mark R. Hogan, secretary and CEO of the WEDC, said in a release.
More than 500 companies representing a diversity of disciplines such a construction, security and recycling were represented at a session earlier this week in Sturtevant.
Adam Jelen, representing project manager Gilbane, says it’s important to make sure local businesses know of opportunities and the requirements to meet them. Additional meetings taking place across the state this month include:
- Monday, April 9: Blackhawk Technical College (Room 1400 A/B), 6004 S. County Road G, Janesville. Co-hosted by the Madison Region Economic Partnership.
- Thursday, April 12: Superior Government Center, 1316 N. 14th St., Superior. Co-hosted by Visions Northwest.
- Friday, April 13: Nicolet College – Lakeside Center Theater, 5364 College Drive, Rhinelander. Co-hosted by Grow North.
- Monday, April 16: Chippewa Valley Technical College – Energy Education Center, 4000 Campus Road, Eau Claire. Co-hosted by Momentum West.
- Monday, April 16: Entrepreneurial Enterprise Center, 100 N. 72nd Ave., Wausau.
- Tuesday, April 17. La Crosse Area Chamber Foundation, 601 7th St. N, La Crosse. Co-hosted by 7 Rivers Alliance.
- Tuesday, April 17: District Community Center, N7261 Warrior Ave., Black River Falls. Co-hosted by the Wisconsin Tribal Nations.
- Thursday, April 19: Waukesha County Technical College, 800 Main St., Pewaukee. Co-hosted by Milwaukee 7.
The sessions are free, but advance registration is required. For event times and to register, visit wisconnvalley.wi.gov/Pages/General-Info-Sessions.aspx.